Thursday 11 June 2020

Feeder Fishing Commercials Part 1

I have to admit that I find legering boring unless the tip is going round regularly. I much prefer the pole or float fishing on rod & line, but there are days when the feeder is the best option. The following is therefore my way, as always possibly not the best but what I have found effective and works for me.

In this post I will deal with each type of feeder in turn, hookbaits, rods, reels, hooklengths and other matters will be dealt with separately in later posts.

Types of Feeder

There are four basic feeder types that I use: Method, Banjo, Pellet & Hybrid. Each has its uses and, something I find strange, fish can display a preference. On many occasions I have switched from being biteless on one type to catching regularly with another.

At the end of this post is a video link that shows Method, Pellet and Banjo feeders in water discharging their contents. I have not included the Hybrid because I see it as similar to the Banjo in use. A second video shows the feeders being loaded with groundbait or pellets plus hookbait.

There is also the consideration of whether your feeders should be elasticated or free running. Because I fish many venues that ban elasticated feeders I don't own any. That avoids confusion and mistakes. And to add to the debate we have “safe” elasticated feeders that allow a fish to drop the feeder if the mainline breaks. Some fisheries allow these, others just ban all elasticated feeders whether “safe” or not. Always check the water's rules.

As I don't use them I cannot really comment on the benefits of elasticated feeders. And so will not go into detail.

Various companies have brought out quick change systems whereby you can switch from one type or size of feeder to another in seconds without having to break the rig down. I created my own quick change system and so have no great experience of the various types on the market.

As a consequence of the above I will talk about in line, ordinary feeders (not quick change versions) to keep things simple and within my experience. Quick change or not, free running or elasticated the basic ideas remain the same.

Method

The first feeder designed purely for carp fishing on commercial style waters. The original Method feeders were quite crude being a frame around which a large ball of groundbait was moulded and the hookbait incorporated into the outer layer. These balls could be quite large and referred to by some as “coconuts” with good reason.
 
The Original "Emstat" Method Feeders
 


The idea was that the carp would attack the groundbait on the feeder and eventually the hookbait was eaten either by choice or along with a mouthful of groundbait. In either case the weight of the feeder & remaining groundbait caused the hook to take hold and be driven in totally when the fish tried to swim away. This resulted in the now familiar “wrap round” bite.

Since those original feeders The Method has been refined into the flat bed feeders we see today. The idea is still the same, that the hookbait stays in a parcel of groundbait until the feeder has settled on the bottom. Depending on the make up of the groundbait it will either break down fairly quickly leaving a pile with the hookbait visible or stay as a tightly packed parcel that the carp need to attack to get at the hookbait.
 
Flat Bed Method Feeders
 
 

 
 
Pellets can be used on The Method feeder instead of groundbait and indeed there are times when the fish show a preference for one or the other. The problem with pellets is that unless tightly bound together they tend to “explode” off the feeder as it hits the water. Underwater filming has proved this happens. This explosion releases the pellets and the hookbait and ruins the intention of having a pile of free offerings with the hookbait buried in or laying on top of them. This problem can be overcome to some extent by using a binder to hold the pellets together, by using a brand of pellets that naturally bind together tightly or by using a mix of groundbait & pellets.

One absolutely golden rule in fishing The Method is that once it has dropped to the lake bed it must not be moved unless a fish is hooked or it is retrieved to re-cast. Care must be taken in tightening the rod tip to the freshly cast feeder. Some will fish a slack line for this reason, as well as trying to avoid line bites that may move the feeder. Moving the feeder would ruin the intended presentation of hookbait and groundbait/pellet pile in one discrete parcel.
 
Perfection?
 
 

I prefer to load the feeder using a mould. Some people use the palm of their hand. The groundbait can stick in the mould. The solution is to have the mould in a plastic bag so that the plastic lays between groundbait and mould. This way the plastic can be peeled off the groundbait if it sticks.

I also “double skin” my Method feeder when loading. That is I put an initial loading of groundbait into the mould and press this into the feeder. I then load the mould again, place the hookbait on top and squeeze that load onto the feeder. This ensures the bait is buried but not fouling the ribs of the feeder.

Pellet Feeder

Developed, as the name suggests, with the specific intention of being able to fish Method style but with pellets (normally micros) as the attractant instead of groundbait. I admit that the pellet feeder is my go-to Winter leger method for commercials.

Different manufacturers have slightly different styles but the basic principle is that the feeder is shaped like a scoop. The bulk of the pellets are held inside the feeder so that on splashing down they are not dislodged. Once settled in the water the pellets expand and most of them push or fall out of the feeder along with the hookbait.
 
 
Preston Pellet Feeders 
 

To load the pellet feeder I scoop up the micro pellets and compress these with my thumb into the feeder. I then create a small well with index or little finger in the top of the pellets in the feeder. The hookbait goes into the depression made before I apply a further load of pellets and compress these in place. I hope this ensures that when the pellets expand and push the hookbait out it is laying on top of the pellet pile.

Banjo

Probably my second favourite feeder in the group as it is one I have had a lot of success with. Named for its shape the Banjo provides a shallow sided dish in which hookbait and, for me, pellets can be contained. The idea being that like The Method you can deliver a small package of free offerings with a hookbait inside. This is another feeder that should not be moved once cast.
 
 
Banjo Feeder


I have never used groundbait in a Banjo but I suppose there is no reason you shouldn't. The hookbait is not always visible and thus would normally be ingested by the fish when sucking up the pile of pellets. But there are times the fish can prefer one bait over another. No, I cannot fathom that out.

The way I load the feeder is to place the baited hook in the body then cover with soaked micro pellets and squeeze these down with my hand. I then add another layer of pellets and press these in place with my thumbs. Do not be afraid of pressing really hard. Surprisingly the pellets will rebound once in the water.

For the following explanation consider the circular body of the feeder as a clock face. Mentally divide the clock into four quarter hours, 12-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12. I place my two thumbs in opposing quarters e.g. 12-3, 6-9 and press. I then do the same with the other two quarters and repeat six or seven times. The video shows this in action.

This is sufficient to ensure the bait stays in the feeder until it has settled on the lake bed.

Hybrid



As the name suggests this is a combination of two feeder types, Method and Banjo. To be honest I have never really worked out what is different about the Hybrid from the Banjo other than the shape and some holes in the side & base. It is probably a confidence thing but I have not yet had any great success using a hybrid feeder. Use and loading are similar to both the feeders it is hybridised from. So “Don't move the feeder!” once settled.


Attaching the Feeder and Hooklength

With any form of inline feeder the line passes through a central hollow stem. There will then be a bead or swivel to stop the feeder from running down to the hook. In the case of the quick change systems I mentioned the stem is a separate item to the feeder body. One stem fits in the various feeders in the range enabling the body to be swapped quickly and even be replaced by a plain leger weight.

I created my own “quick change” system before the commercial varieties were available. I have stayed with it purely because the commercially made systems do not include bodies of all four types I use. My system is simple and employs the Drennan Method Connector. These connectors are made of a central barrel with a hook at each end like a Stonfo elastic connector and a sleeve that slides over the barrel to trap the line in place on the hooks. One hook holds the main line, the other the hooklength.
 
 
Drennan Method Connector

 

I tie a large loop in the end of the main line, anything from four to six inches long. I then pass this loop through the feeder stem and add the Method Connector. It is then a case of adding the hooklength. To swap feeders I only have to remove the mainline from the connector, pull it out of the feeder, feed it through the new feeder and re-attach to the connector and I am good to go.

It can be a little fiddly getting the loop through the feeder stem as you need to twizzle it in your fingers to make a small end to pass through the tail rubber hole. If this is difficult then when tying the loop leave a long tag end and use this to feed through the stem and pull the loop through after.

Note re banjo feeders.  You may need to add a bead between the connector and the feeder as the central part of the connector can just fit inside the stem of the banjo feeder.  The bead prevents the connector from being pulled into the stem.

As in all forms of legering using a free running feeder you need a way of stopping the feeder running all the way to the hook and also a way of connecting the hooklength.  You could use a traditional swivel with a snap link for the hooklength.  If bait spinning up and twisting the hooklength is a problem then this still is a suitable method.  But today we have various quick change beads like the Drennan above.  I think they all include some kind of hook and sleeve arrangement like a pole Stonfo.  I prefer the Drennan's purely because they can be disconnected from both sides.  Many other quick change beads have to be tied to the reel line.

I have also mentioned incorporating a bead above the connector or swivel purely as an added buffer for the feeder.  It is personal choice whether to include one in your set up.  
 

Videos
 
The following is a link to a YouTube video showing Method, pellet & banjo feeders discharging their contents in water.  You can also see how the Method Connector is used.
 
 
The following shows how I load these feeders
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment