Wednesday 8 July 2020

Feeder Fishing Commercials – Part 3 - Tackle

I think we are very fortunate today in that there is a wealth of good tackle available to suit all budgets. Cheap does not necessarily mean unsuitable or poor quality. 

My main rod & reel combination for commercials cost £35 for the rod and £10 for the reel. You can, of course spend a lot more. The choice is up to the individual, their circumstances and preferences. My cheap gear does all I ask of it.
 
Spending more may not get you more fish but you will get pleasure and satisfaction from owning and using something top rate.  Only you can decide.

Rods
Any rod that is sold as a “carp feeder” or “commercial feeder” rod will do the job. Less of a gamble with higher priced offerings. What you don't need is a specimen carp rod designed for taming carp of 20-60lb. We are looking at match sized carp in most commercials and that to me means predominantly fish under ten pound. There will of course be commercial venues that have a bigger average stamp of fish. So your choice of rod may be dictated by your normal venues.

One debate is to do with rod length. All bar one of my carp feeder rods are 12 foot. The odd one out is 13 foot for longer casts on bigger waters. Many people prefer a shorter rod for smaller venues and thus shorter casting distances.  In part four I describe how I use my 12 foot rods to cast underhand when the feeder does not have to travel far. Like may things this is a very personal matter that will in part be dictated by budget. If you can afford to buy 10, 11, 12 & 13 foot rods for different situations great.

If your budget is limited then I would, of course, recommend a 12 foot rod as a good compromise.

Reels
I would always recommend a Baitrunner of Freespool type reel for this kind of fishing. You may not use the facility often, but it is better, in my opinion to have it available when needed.

A 40/4000 size reel will marry with a 10 or 12 foot rod. My 13 footer has a 60/6000 sized reel on it. This is purely to aid long casting should it be needed.

Again, let your budget be your guide. My reels cost £10. Yes they will not be as smooth and not last as long as something in the over £50 bracket. But I have, for the price of one expensive reel, been able to put reels on all my rods so they are instantly available for use. So don't let price put you off.

Tips
In my opinion, with this style of fishing, the strength of the quiver tip is immaterial. This is not silvers legering where you need a sight board to see minute movements, a carp will take the rod off the rest. So no mistaking the bite and by the time you lift up the rod the fish will be hooked.

I don't even know what strength tips are in my rods. When the bend from the bite reaches the middle section its time to pick up the rod!

Hooklengths & Mainline
One thing newcomers to fishing this type of feeder find confusing is that the hooklength is often stronger than the main line. That goes against everything you have been taught. But there is logic behind it.

Hooklength line will tend to be a high tech (pre-stretched) line while the main line will be traditional (unstretched) mono. The pre-stretched line while finer for the same breaking strain is somewhat brittle and thus can break when subjected to a shock loading as when a fish bolts when it first feels the hook or when it shakes its head close in. On the pole this is countered using elastic. On the feeder we use a stronger breaking strain hooklength and the stretch in the main line, the rod's action and probably a baitrunner facility and/or reel drag to cushion the initial bite and lunges under the rod tip.

For casting purposes we want a mainline with a balance between strength and thickness. The strength to withstand the casting shock and lunges of the fish, the thinner line to aid distance. Once the feeder has been cast there will be enough stretch in the line for it to withstand the initial shock of a bite. So while we may use, say 6lb main line the hooklength could be 7, 8 or even 10lb. Even when landing the fish there is enough combined give in the line, rod and reel so that even double figure fish present no problem on 6lb mainline.
 
You could opt for a shock leader of heavier BS but for commercial feeder fishing I see no point.  Feeders tend to be fairly light and distances relatively short.  You will not normally be punching a 100g (4oz) feeder 100 yards.  A 20g feeder will easily cast 35-40 yards.

I am guessing but I should think the most popular length for hooklengths will be 4 inches. Some go for two or three, others five. Fisheries may dictate the minimum hooklength and this rule should be looked out for and abided by.

Hooks
There is no need to go overboard on strength or size for “match” sized carp. Again the cushioning of the main line will allow the use of standard carp hooks as used on the pole. I have heard Steve Ringer say that he uses the maximum size allowed by the fishery without any reduction in bites. As feeder world champion I guess he knows a thing or two. I wouldn't disagree but I would say go with what you are comfortable with.

If fish over ten pound are expected on a regular basis then I would step up to a stronger hook.  Most carp patterns have an Extra Strong version.

No comments:

Post a Comment